Friday, October 20, 2006

WWJD

Would *Jesus support a policy of disproportionate response? Would Jesus think it appropriate to protect your property with lethal force. Would Jesus justify capital punishment. Would Jesus be a capitalist or a socialist? So what makes the "Christian Right" so Christian? (In the interest of full disclosure I find myself disagreeing with **Jesus on some of these issues, which is disturbing.)

My point; religion has no place in politics. Anytime the two get mixed religion ends up being trampled in the mud. History teaches us that most wars are the result of religious differences when in fact, religion is simply being used to justify man's lust for power and revenge. Islam is no more responsible for terrorism than Christianity is responsible for the Inquisition. The purpose of the separation of church and state is not to protect the state from the church, but to protect the church from the state.

I know this post was somewhat disjointed and far from eloquent, these are just a few things I've had on my mind this election season.


*Jesus is used metaphorically here; I’m using him, not as a rational, living, breathing man but as an over simplified culmination of his teachings. I do this with respect and with no intentions of blasphemy.
**Again, I am not disagreeing with Jesus (he happens to always be right) I just happen to find myself agreeing with things that my metaphorical Jesus would disagree with.

4 comments:

Marc said...

Amen

**Does this mean you're for capital punishment?

Sammy Pow said...

I don't really know what you mean by "religion has no place in politics." If you mean, God told me to attack Iraq, then I agree. But if you mean religious people shouldn't be influenced by the morals/values they've developed through their religion then I disagree.

I guess everyone has their own interpretation of WWJD but I think if people actually did WJWD then we'd be in better shape.

Sammy Pow said...

sheesh dude, Your stupid Beta version doesn't give me a prompt to sign in and it just uses my Gmail account. So in case there was tons of confusion over who brian was, it was me!

Huck Finn said...

Marc - Actualy I'm a gun wielding capitalist and I believe a disproportionate response is the only response to terrorism. But I don't agree with capital punishment, kind of a paradox I know.

BA - I have no problem with religious people being in politics, in fact I prefer it. I just think the institution of government should not apppear to support any particular religion.